Saturday, January 26, 2013

Thinking of today...

There are a few things I am thinking of today THIS is one of them. As a woman who has deployed to a combat zone, I think it is long past time that we admit we've already been in combat for years! Especially in the recent conflicts. I just wonder how many more men are going to come up to me and comment on the headline about how inappropriate it is to have women in combat? Maybe they would bugger off if they knew they were insulting me to my face? Well, it doesn't matter, the pentagon is doing it and a bunch of old fat men aren't going to stop it!

Here is the other thing that I am thinking about.
This video and monologue made me cry when I saw it over at Thalassa's Blog. The things that are being leveled at women, the struggles we still have when it comes to being treated the same as a man doing the same thing are not OK. The way media and congress people are trying to make us feel about the ways in which we use our bodys and how we look and who we are, are NOT OK! A woman should have the right to enjoy her body, in a spiritual (or not) way if she wants. What is demonized for women is considered normal and expected for men. I want to be able to hold the same job as a man, and I want to be paid the same for it. That is one reason that the women in the military made me so happy.

I know these things don't feel pagan-y, or spiritual to some people, but they matter so much to me. They matter like not being forced to be someone elses religion matters to me. These things matter to me like my right to marry matters to me, and like my friend's rights matter to me. America wants to be the land of the free, so let's make freedom ring, let it ring without us having to say it, let our actions speak for themselves! I want to continue to be free, and the day I cannot be while living in this country, will be a sad day indeed.

1 comment:

  1. These things matter to me too. Thank you for giving them a voice.

    ReplyDelete