Friday, January 18, 2013

Half baked

So today I am going to bring up a particularly enjoyable topic, (for me at least,) Spells!
ZOMG! She has cheated on the Pagan Blog Project already!
Well I haven’t, specifically, I am referring to spells in Baking, Yes baking! Spell craft and baking absolutely go hand in hand!
I am completely serious. Baking with intent is one of my very favorite ways to do any kind of spell work. It is a lovely and loving ritual, and fits in with all sorts of different spells. What better way to protect and bless your friends, self and loved ones than from the inside out? Anything seasonal can become a spell, (or out of season, seasonal will likely be cheaper and easier though.)
If I am just doing a regular spell, with candles and an altar and such, I tend to use things which are already readily available in my pantry, so for me the transition is fairly seamless. I build energy when I stir something by hand, (machines work too, I just don’t have room for the big ones.) I concentrate on intent while I measure and pour.  This is wonderful for festivals and celebrations too. It is my very favorite form of ritual, and my husband likes it too! This is something you can get children involved in, and it’s almost traditional for everyone. My grandmother taught me and my mother how to bake, and it always mattered that you bake with love, an idea that goes hand in hand with spell work, intent! If you do traditional rituals, and you use food, cakes and ale, or bread, having blessed food is always a bonus.
I always bake a calming and health spell before a particularly hectic or trying week, if I know it is coming, and after a trying week the action can be quite cathartic and help even relieve stress in the actions, in addition to the magickal benefits.

2 comments:

  1. I love you take on baking as magic! the measuring as intent hadn't occurred to me, but I know I will be thinking of that, and you, next time I make bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is something that I realised one day while baking, the whole process could be just as magical as any other planned, or un planned ritual and spellwork. That said, the chemical processes that turn that soupy batter into spongy cake seems like pretty transformative magic to me, what else represents change better than the kind that is so obvious?

      Delete